Before applications are accepted, parents are encouraged to observe the appropriate classroom for their child. Once the parent observation is completed, the next step is to submit an Application for Admission with the $100 application fee. After an application is submitted to the office, appointments are arranged for a school visit and an interview with the appropriate teacher.
The following admission policies and criteria not only weigh a student’s compatibility with a particular classroom, but also the student’s and family’s long-term commitment to a Montessori education and an active family-school partnership.
1. We practice a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, or national and ethnic origin regarding the receipt and review of applications for admission.
2. Admissions decisions require, and are made contingent upon, receipt or completion of student and family visits and interviews, student records, and other forms included in the Registration Package. (Notification of acceptance is made by letter each spring for the next school term.)
3. Classroom assignments are at the sole discretion of the school director to insure a balance of mixed ages in the classroom. PARENTS MAY NOT MAKE PERSONAL REQUESTS FOR SPECIFIC TEACHERS.
4. We respect the right of privacy of all prospective students and families, and honor the confidentiality of all reports, records, interview information, and any other information or materials obtained as part of the admission application process.
5. There is a six-week probationary period, during which students are evaluated as to the appropriateness of their placement in the school. If it is felt that the student’s needs would be better met in another setting, a conference with the parents, teacher, and director will be called.
6. St. Andrews Montessori School welcomes applications from a wide variety of students while also recognizing our limitations in meeting some highly complex or specialized learning needs. Our admissions procedure will therefore take into account our ability to accommodate particular students’ special needs without disruption to our program. Students who have special needs that fall within our ability to address may be accepted on a provisional basis with additional stipulations.
Many children with disabilities or other special needs are supported by developmental and educational professionals such as therapists, teachers, and others. St. Andrews
Montessori School welcomes those professionals and works with them to assure the child’s success. The support personnel is encouraged to provide services to the child in the context of the early childhood classroom environment, and the child’s teacher and the service provider work collaboratively to determine the best strategies to support
the child in the group setting. St. Andrews Montessori School supports the teacher’s participation in Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings.
7. Priority is given to siblings of currently enrolled students, members of St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, children of staff, and children transferring from another Montessori school. Other applications will be considered based on date of application.
8. The school makes an effort to maintain a reasonable balance of ages when accepting children into the program. Once a class is full, a waiting list is established. Children from this list may be accepted during the school year should a vacancy occur prior to December 31. No vacancies will be available after January 15.
9. Presently, our elementary program includes 1st-5th grade. Children must be 6 on or before September 1 to qualify for this level program. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE
MADE. Children at the kindergarten level must be 5 on or before September 1.
10.An early withdrawal fee equal to one month's tuition at the 9 month rate will be assessed if a student leaves St. Andrews Montessori School before the end of the 2020-2021 school year. If you plan on your child attending St. Andrews for the entire school year, this policy will have no impact on your family. Exceptions to this policy will be if a family moves out of the immediate school area, then no withdrawal fee will be assessed. This fee will be in effect starting June 1, 2020. A parent ;may cancel the contract with the school without liability for the withdrawal fee if the school is notified in writing on or before June 1, 2020.